Flood damage can occur with natural disasters or in-home accidents. Items damaged by waters caused by flooding require immediate and specialized attention. When trying to rescue flood-damaged treasures from your home, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. Here are a few tips that could make a big difference:
1. Dry wipe wood furniture as soon as possible. You can use a mixture of hot water and Borax when wiping wood or other hard surfaces.
2. Mold prevention is critical. Always move items with mold outdoors or into a dry open space such as a garage.
3. Take furniture apart when possible. For example, separate wooden drawers from a cabinet or dresser and allow them to completely dry to avoid sticking.
4. You can put plastic under furniture leges to prevent colors from bleeding or running onto your floors.
5. Discard wet carpeting. Throw rugs can be washed and oriental rugs may require a cleaning specialist.
6. A solution of half ammonia and half water can be used to clean wood from white spots for a surface film.
7. Preparing items such as broken ceramics or glass for insurance damage claims is important. Be sure you separate these pieces and place them in plastic containers or bags.
8. You can always discard fabric, upholstery and mattresses if you can save your wooden furniture frames.
Remember to photograph and document damaged items to help with your insurance claims. You should also remember to take precautions to protect yourself when going through flood damaged items.