10 Tips for an Epic Family Garage Sale
1) Get Organized
- Section a room or area in your home to be filled with the items you wish to sell
- Be sure to obtain a permit from your municipality if required
2) Source your inventory
- Categorize your items for display purposes, and create an inventory list of what you’ll be selling
3) Price your items
- Use a pricing worksheet to outline the prices you’ll be asking and the lowest price you’ll be willing to accept. This is a good way to keep track of profits too.
4) Be creative in advertising your event
- Utilize as many methods as possible to get the word out (post your event online (Tagsellit.com, Craigslist.org), Newspapers, Social Media, Create and Post Signs where permitted (be sure to remove them after the sale)
5) Be prepared to prove your items work properly
- Have batteries, extension cords and tools handy to assist prospective buyers in their decision making process
6) Be knowledgeable of the items you’re selling
- Once they’re sold you can’t ask for them back, be sure you do your due diligence before you sell jewelry or art
7) Recruit your friends for help
- An extra pair of hands and eyes are always helpful when working a yard sale
8) Assume responsibility
- Be sure your homeowner’s insurance policy covers you while having your event at your home
- Be aware of items you sell that have been recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission – you’re not allowed to resell these items!
9) Have fun!
- Keep a smile on your face, be pleasant and remember the ultimate goal is to get rid of as much stuff as possible, so keep an open mind when it comes to bartering, haggling and negotiating!
10) Donate your unwanted items to neighborhood organizations that accept them
Salvation Army Website – http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/
Goodwill Website – http://www.goodwill.org/
Local Houses of Worship
Tax Benefits, Charitable Donations Information – http://www.justgive.org/
Leave a Reply