So you’ve overcome your emotional attachment and made the decision to sell your stuff by having a garage sale. The most important aspect of a tag sale is organization, without it things could get messy. Here’s how to organize your sale from start to finish:
- Recruit your friends and make sure they’re committed to helping you with your sale. If your friends are experts in any area, have them run that corner of the show at the tag sale. Also, delegate who’s responsible for overseeing certain aspects. Having friends help you will also give you some sense of security that you’re not alone at your sale.
- Prior to the sale, separate and categorize all of the items you will be selling. Move them all into one room or area. Be sure to do your homework on any items you’re not sure what their value may be. Again if you’re not sure about any items, reread our blog post about emotional attachment.
- Once your items are separated from the rest of your home, make an inventory. It’s best to set up a spreadsheet with everything documented on it. Give a copy to each of your friends. Make sure you note the following on your spreadsheet:
- Item Name & Any Relevant Details
- Price You Are Asking
- Lowest Price You’re Willing To Take
- Make Signs – Be sure to prepare some attractive signs to post in your town or neighborhood the week of your sale (where permitted) For tips on this, read our blog post on Creating Signs. Also, be sure to list your sale for FREE on Tagsellit.com so people from all over know how to find your sale!
- Pricing is important. The whole point of your sale is to sell your stuff! If you price it too high, people will just walk away. Price it fairly and know ahead of time what you’re willing to accept.
- Layout & Presentation – The better your sale is organized and laid out, the easier it will be for you and your friends to manage, and it will be easier for shoppers to browse. Try to cover any tables with a white disposable (preferably recycled paper) table cloth. This will help your items show better and reflect the sun better.
Having done the above before your sale will set you up for a stress-free and successful sale! Good Luck!
Leave a Reply