When was the last time you saw your closet floor or were able to find something in your closet in less than three seconds? For some, it’s probably been a while, and that generally means you have accumulated more clutter than you realize. Closet clutter includes all the clothes that you rarely wear, or may never wear again. If this is the case, it’s time to purge your closet! Too often, people wait until they downsize their home or lifestyle to clean out their closets and they miss great opportunities such as consignment or better yet, donating clothes for the benefit of tax write-offs! Our friends at 1-800-GOT-JUNK? published an article last year, titled, “Ten indications that it’s time to purge your closet.”
Which ones apply to your closet?
- You hold on to a shirt you wouldn’t normally wear, because you “could maybe use it for a theoretical costume party”
- You are planning on wearing some items when you lose or gain weight
- You haven’t worn some items in over a year
- You come across clothing you forgot you had
- You’ve been holding on to things because they “go with one other thing I have but I don’t know where that thing is,” but you’re hoping to find it one day
- You have an entire drawer of T-shirts that represents every volunteer opportunity or job you have ever had
- You keep damaged items because you will fix them one day (but you still haven’t gotten around to it)
- You keep every gift you get, in case you have a family reunion where you’ll need to wear that Christmas sweater dear Aunt Bertha knit for you
- You have more than one item of clothing per hanger, and a lot of hangers
- You can’t see the floor, and you aren’t even sure what color it is (or was)
If any of the above apply to you, it’s time to do some cleaning, sorting and donating. You might also want to package some clothes to take to your local Consignment Boutique.
Don’t forget, if you have other closets (attics, basements or garages) full of clutter, give our friends at 1-800-GOT-JUNK? a call right away! They’ve got the muscle and the trucks ready to haul your junk away!