Having a tag sale in the city is just as effective as having a sale in the country, however in the city you should expect the same amout of work and effort to sell and move out your items. Garage sales in suburban and rual areas are generally pretty simple to set up if you’re organized and prepared. The take-down should be even easier if you’ve sold everything you wanted to and have arranged for a charitable contribution haul-away service.
In large cities where a majority of the population resides in high-rise style apartments or walk-up multiple family dwellings, running a virtual tag sale from the internet requires less set-up and presentation effort, however, when you have found a buyer to come take your items you better be prepared for a lot of coordinating.
Here are some helpful tips that should make for a smooth tag sale in the city:
- Relay as much information about large bulky furniture to prospective buyers as possible before they come see the item(s) – this should include measurements and weight information
- If you reside in a high-rise, coordinate with you building super or management office an appropriate move-out time and precautions so you don’t damage the building facilities or disturb other residents – if you have buyers who are amateur movers coming to pick up large furniture and they damage the walls or elevator, then you (the tenant) will most likely be responsible for fees and repairs
- Be helpful by having appropriate tools handy if your buyers need to dismantle anything in order to take it down a set of stairs or fit it in an elevator
- Try to agree on a price ahead of time rather than haggling on the spot – you should only be open to haggling if you haven’t described the item well enough for the buyers who arrive and notice differences in the item you described
- Use common-sense safety measures: Let the doorman know you have someone coming to your home to look at an item they are interested in purchasing from you, the same goes for a non-attended building lobby, have a friend with you if you don’t feel comfortable having strangers come in to your home to pick something up
You can have a successful sale anywhere when you apply these tips!
Leave a Reply