Laura McHolm is an organizational expert and co-founder of NorthStar Moving & Storage, California’s premier eco-luxury moving & storage company. Here are a sample of some creative organizational tips she shares with clients:
- Empty everything out of the closet onto the floor – everything! Then create four piles: keep, give away, throw way and store.
- Organize shoes by use or occasion (i.e. sport vs. work), and then break down your dressy shoes by flats to heels and light to dark.
- Lay folded items inside your drawers or on the shelf on their side. You can purchase wooden planks or plastic planks to use as dividers. This way you can see all of your clothes at once when you open the drawer.
- Place shoes and accessories in clear plastic containers and tape their photo to the outside of their container. This little step gives you double duty: you can find it easily AND you can put it away in the exact same spot for next time that hot date rolls around…
- Take a look at the ‘clutter’ around your room – if things like papers and magazines have been piling up, decide if you really need them. If so, this might be a good time to pack them away. If not, toss them
Basement/Attic (can be used interchangeably)
- What’s my goal for my basement/attic? Is it storage or is it my man cave ?
- With each and every item ask is this meeting my goal?
- When was last time I used this? When will I use it again? If the answer is I don’t know to either question, It’s off to good will!
- Use clear bins with colored handles so you can tell instantly what is stored in each bin (sports gear, larger tools, car wash items etc.)
- Color-coated crates are a less expensive alternative (Be sure to also label your bins)
- If tools are kept in your garage, organize them by size in a proper tool box and get rid of anything that is too old or rusty to use anymore!